Thursday, September 27, 2012

5K PR Boo-Yeah!

Yeah...I'm not really cool enough to pull off the Boo-Yeah.  I don't really care though.  About a month ago or so I had a 26ish minute run with my running club one tuesday night.  I didn't believe the time, since I've never run that fast in my life, and drove the course later in the week just to make sure.  The course was a *touch* short of 5K, but really really close to 3 miles so I was really happy with myself.  I couldn't wait to see if I could do it in an actual race (I had been pacing behind a girl I knew was faster than me...but turns out she was pacing behind someone she knew was faster than her..so I didn't know if I had it in me to do it on my own.)


We arrived at my hometown's 5K early enough to register for the kid's fun run too.  The sky looked ominous and if I hadn't preregistered myself, I totally would have bailed.  Which is why I will always preregister for races from now on.  I missed this race last year for the same reason, though turns out it cleared up in time for the race last year.  This year, not so much.  The boys finished their 1/2 mile run about 10 minutes before the skies opened up.  I was soaked through to my skin before we even started.  Ironic, since I just posted 10 Running Things About Me and I specifically said I never run in the rain, unless I get hit while I am out.  Well, no choice today.  I was worried about my hamburger toe but luckily I thought to wear my smartwool socks just incase I got wet.  They were the perfect choice, and I didn't suffer at all today, old or new blisters.  I hit my first mile with an 8:22 pace and I was stoked!  And a little scared.  I didn't know if I could hold that the whole race.  I couldn't see for part of it the rain was coming down so hard, I couldn't keep the water out of my eyes, and I was afraid I would lose a contact lens.  I had totally forgotten my 'portable porch' when I left the house this morning, a running visor I purposely bought for rainy runs, hoping it would motivate me to go in the rain...it's still on my dresser with the tags on.  In part because I have no desire to run in the rain, and in part because it's was such a beautiful summer, I never had to.

The course goes on in big loop through town, then loops back on itself for a small bit then crossed town on some back roads and ends with the final 400 on the high school track.  Just like last time I ran this race 2 years ago, I heard my track coach telling me I didn't go hard enough if I didn't puke (she was sadistic like that...and no, I never puked.  She must have seen something in me I didn't...also, I hate to puke.  So I was terrified that I could push hard enough to puke.  So I didn't.)

Well, I didn't puke, but I DID cross the line with a new 5K PR at 26:41 !  I'm so amazed that following this 1/2 marathon training plan seems to given me extra wheels in shorter distances too...or I'm just more confident.  I also have a better idea of what my body can handle, and I'm not afraid to push a little harder.  My next goal I think for 5K will be to break that 25 minute mark.  I spent the last 3 years of 5Ks hoping to beat half an hour, which I finally did last spring.  But not by much.

If I had run that time any other year,  I would have placed. As a matter of fact, 2 years ago, with a time of 30:18 I placed 5th (they give out to the 5th place) but I got the 4th place prize since the winner of the age group was also a top 3 finisher.  This year, I was 6th in my age group and would have placed if I had been just 20 seconds faster.  The race is about twice the size it was 2 years ago, and all these small races keep growing.  It's nice to know I've improved so much.

I DO still need to get new shoes, especially if I want to have enough time to decide if I can wear them next week....I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

I'm having picture posting troubles with my phone....but with all the rain I didn't dare pull it out to take too many anyway.  One week till Corning!  Can't wait to show off my goodies!  It's supposed to be an amazing event, and I'm excited to see my bestie!

Today: 3.1
Week: 18.2
September: 44.2


No comments:

Post a Comment