Sunday, August 12, 2012

Hello, Treadmill

I've got to learn to like my treadmill a little bit more.  Summer activities for the boys are winding down.  This week will be busy, and it's the last week the boys will be in a "drop and leave" location which allows me to take my time getting my runs in.  It's been a great summer for me in this regard, running wise.  I've been able to go to yoga and get runs in and still have time to clean and get groceries and eat lunch and....and...well, basically have a summer.  It's been great for the boys as well, especially A.  He's a bit of an introvert, and always thinks people don't like him if they don't talk to him right away (not really understanding that he's not talking to them either.)  So having the whole summer pretty much, hanging out with the same kids at summer rec, has allowed him to make some new friends, and he's more willing to go do something with out me.  This week he will h,ave Horse Camp 3 of the days (that's a drop-off thing) and Golf Camp (not a drop off thing) so I will have some days where I have the day to myself, and some not. (T is still going to Summer Rec on Horse days)

Today is the last day for Run With Jess' virtual track meet.  I have just over 4 miles left to complete, and I'm sitting her with my coffee, trying to remember my last run and getting motivated to get out the door...I also need to plan what kind of a run I'm doing today.  I could do my long run for the week tomorrow, but I also know that Sundays will have to be the day from now on, since the boys will be home the rest of the summer, and I don't really want to do long runs on the treadmill.  If it's a long run, technically I need to do 9 today on my training plan, but I was close to that last week, and part of me wants to do 10, so I will finally hit double digits for the first time.  I feel like once I break through that I will truly feel like I CAN do the half marathon...and maybe even the local one (which I believe is in four weeks). 

Thursday I didn't run.  The boys had golf camp, then we had a 'trade play date' where A stayed with his friend and I took the friends sister home with me.  We traded back in time for me to drive to my friend's house where we shared a babysitter and I went to my first Zumba class in 4 years.  It was a blast, but if I am going to continue to go (I DO need a good cross-training workout!) I need some better shoes.  My running shoes are too 'grippy' on the floor, but my every day sneakers (just cute, fashion shoes, not for athletics of any kind) just don't have the support I need.  I might hit up payless today when I get groceries for a cheapo pair of dance/jazz shoes? 

Friday was raining, the kids were home with me so we could go visit my grandmother before she heads out of state for the fall/winter season.  I hemmed and hawed all morning and finally just got up and hit the treadmill.  I still had the 5K to run for the track meet, and I wasn't sure I was going to make it to one of the races I was eyeing on Saturday (I didn't) so I knew it was that or definitely have to run a long run today.  I turned on my Another Mother Runner Pod Cast and used the treadmill for the first time since...probably March?  The weather was so mild this winter that I ran outside quite early and often.  It was not easy.  I definitely rely on my surroundings as distraction when I'm outside.  I sometimes I do my shorter runs with out music or podcasts, and I have no problems.  I completed my 5K in just over 30 minutes, which is disappointing, because I really felt like I was running faster on the mill than I run on the road, and the past few times I've done my club run I've been under 30 minutes for the 5K.  I also had my doubts about if it's measured correctly out there as well, so....  When I get my bia (in April I hope) I'll know for sure, but for now I'll just assume that I could have pushed harder on the treadmill.  The last half mile I did up the speed, gradually so by the end I was running at an 8.  I'm just not used to it, so that could me it too.  Either way, I got my run in, even though the boys were home and that's what counts at this point.

Ok, enough procrastinating.  It's time for me to hit the road!

Friday: 3.1
Week:  14.9
August: 22

No comments:

Post a Comment